Every so often, in literature, on television or in movies, there's a character that I really identify with. Like, I'd want to drink whiskey and shoot the breeze about life with this person. We could braid each others' hair and discuss the finer points of intergalactic warp travel, you know? Of course you do. So here are my top five picks for ultimate fictional BFF in no particular order.
1. Elizabeth Bennet — Pride and PrejudiceLizzy is your best winglady for any social function. She’s smart as a whip, funny and able to spot a villain a mile away. She’s headstrong and independent, she tolerates shenanigans from no one and she’ll always encourage you to make the decision that's in your own best interests, even if it's not necessarily the proper course of action.
2. Kara Thrace ("Starbuck") — Battlestar GalacticaEveryone needs that one person they can call late at night when the bars close and there’s a lot of drinking and cussing left to do. Kara Thrace may be a hot head and she may not be the most rational of friends, but she is fiercely loyal and up for adventure at a moment’s notice. Also, she would totally punch a dude out for you if you asked.
3. Leslie Knope — Parks and RecreationLeslie is the truest friend a person could wish for. She genuinely loves each and one of her eclectic group of friends and colleagues and actively roots for them to do well and be awesome. She’s everyone’s cheerleader, even while she’s chasing down her own dream to be the best possible public servant to her hometown of Pawnee. She bumbles a lot of things, but with the best possible intentions. She’s the lady to call when you need someone to pep talk you out of a funk. Vote Knope!
4. Katniss Everdeen — The Hunger GamesThis girl can hunt, fish, gather, barter, climb and strategize like a boss. She also bends over backwards to look out for her family and anyone else she cares about. She’s the friend you want by your side in a crisis, whether it’s a fight to the death or maybe just a camping trip with a chance of bear attacks. While her family obviously comes first, she tries to do right by her friends and has a moral compass as straight as an arrow.
5. Jadzia Dax — Star Trek: Deep Space NineThe scorchingly brilliant and strong willed Science Officer of DS9 has a lot of things going for her that would make her an awesome BFF, but the characteristic that stands out most is her completely rational objectivity. Again and again, she demonstrates an ability to look at things from a dispassionate perspective and see all sides of a situation. And it makes sense - the symbiont creature that she’s joined with has inhabited a politician, scientist, musician, gymnast, a criminal, been a man, a woman and both mother and father several times over. So yeah, she’s got a lot of viewpoints to call on. When you need someone to give you honest advice, she’s your girl.
Who would be in your Top Five?
Thanks to Mams's Losin' It for the prompt.